Monday, February 13, 2006

A Change in Outlook

Waiting for the train, by darkness over-vaulted,
My lazy roving eye by two-tone dark is halted:
Behind the dark dark hills a lighter dark is showing
And last night's moon is set, not eastward gently glowing.
This is the day this is the day...
When winter morns start yawning
Soon to be abed by now
When springtime morns start dawning.

"Dawn points, and another day..."
Are the words that spring to mind
Sent to a friend, what does he say?
The morrow in the pool will find
Him raised from his slumber early
Swimming through the water swirly.
What sense in this: "Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you
"?
When Google whispered, this I heard:

"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number -
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few.
"

So all the poem I quoted him, as the website shows it:
Sarcastic his response: did I just compose it?
My reply needs must be terse
So, quickly, I composed this verse:

"Web surfer Phlebas, Google drowned,
Yore words forgotten, newly found;
A sea-changed corpse of wrongs long gone
Trumps response to spring's thin dawn:
Hie thee to thy watery rigour,
Dive in search of youthful vigour;
Still, find it not in Neptune's arms,
But in blind Chronos' fatal harms."

("In my beginning is my end..."
The poem I sent to my friend.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home